It may be cold outside but it is hot in the kitchen this winter season! Warm up your loved ones with an easy prep-ahead Bean Soup and Quick Rise Rosemary Rolls. Not only are these recipes easy for the cold weather-braving campers, this soup recipe also makes for an adorable gift in a cute mason jar with the recipe attached. Whether you’re spreading the joy through a gift or enjoying cooking it yourself, there is no better way to combat the bitter cold of winter than cooking for those we care about to provide warmth and love this winter season.
The bean soup is the perfect hearty meal that will warm up the soul and melt the winter background away. The recipe is simple and requires few steps. The make-ahead option allows you to have all of your preparations done. The quick rise rosemary rolls complete the meal, creating the perfect entrée and side pair. Beyond the food, get creative with your winter table setting. The tablescape design in the 1971 Swiss Colony Camper mimics the coziness of the recipes through using rosemary as greenery with some white baby’s breath in a white round bowl, keeping the arrangement low for conversation. The rest of the setting includes vintage utensils, bowls, and my grandmother’s “buns” bowl for the side.
Cooking note: The Glamper must be connected to gas and power to complete the recipes.
Mason Jar Bean Soup
- 4 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup pinto beans
- 1/3 cup split green peas
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup navy beans
- 2 tbs dried onion
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Measuring spoons
- Mason jar (to store)
- Large pot with lid
- Wooden spoon
- To make ahead of time for glamping trip: Layer each dry ingredient in mason jar and store.
- Pour dry ingredients out of jar into large pot.
- Add chicken stock and diced tomatoes to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Bring to a simmer. Cook until the beans are tender, about 90 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add salt and pepper to taste.
Quick Rise Rosemary Rolls (makes 12)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 packet (2tbs) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 31/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary, minced
- Mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine water, oil, yeast, and sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Stir in egg, salt, and rosemary.
- Gradually kneed in flour, one cup at a time.
- Divide dough into 12 balls and place in a greased oven pan. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 10 15 minutes until the tops begin to turn golden brown.