Words by Lauren Hedenkamp
Photos by Sarah Terranova
COOKING NOTE: THE GLAMPER MUST BE CONNECTED TO GAS AND POWER TO COMPLETE THE RECIPES.
Sarah Terranova Photography, Vintage KC Magazine
Embrace the biting winter weather that nips at your nose while lodging in a cozy glamper mini home. ‘Tis the season to indulge, either glamping or at home, which can be done with these two vintage inspired recipes that bring warmth and comfort to all. The aromatic and warm spiced chai tea with almond milk recipe emphasizes the traditional tastes and scents of the season. This method makes a concentrate that can be stored ahead of time. When ready to drink merely heat and add almond milk to warm up the soul. The skillet s’mores pie combines the classic camp s’more with a decedent chocolate dessert. Warmed in a skillet, this sweet treat makes for the perfect holiday indulgence. An effortless winter table setting transformed the 1971 Swiss Colony glamper through flowers, vintage dishes, and family linens from Germany.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 4 CUPS OF CONCENTRATE):
4 black tea bags
12 cardamom pods
2 star anise
8 whole black peppercorns
4 cinnamon sticks
8 whole cloves
1 ½ inch piece of fresh ginger
4 whole allspice
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1 vanilla bean sliced down the middle
1 whole nutmeg
½ teaspoon of orange zest or 1 inch piece of orange rind
1. Boil 4 cups of water in a large pot.
2. Place all of the ingredients in pot.
3. Boil for 5 minutes and then remove from heat and let it steep for 20 minutes.
4. Strain/ or spoon out the ingredients from the water.
5. Put concentrate in a jar to store or serve immediately.
6. When ready to drink, fill the cup half way with the concentrate and fill the rest with almond milk and enjoy!
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4):
1 roll of premade pie dough
2 bars of milk chocolate
1 bag of large marshmallows
1 Tablespoon of butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Butter the bottom and insides of the skillet.
3. Cut thawed pie dough to fit the bottom and sides of the skillet.
4. Butter the top of the pie dough. Then break the chocolate bar into squares and layer on top of the dough.
5. Layer remaining pieces of dough to cover the chocolate.
6. Use remaining butter to butter the top of the pie dough.
7. Put in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and break the remaining chocolate into squares and layer on top of the dough. Then place marshmallows to cover the chocolate.
9. Put back in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
10. Let cool a few minutes and enjoy!
The Gourmet Glamping team, Lauren Hedenkamp and Sarah Terranova, became fast friends in Italy. They met studying in the same art and photo program and bonded quickly over their love of art and food. Lauren’s vintage camper Ellie serves as the backdrop for Gourmet Glamping.
Lauren – email@example.com